Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Clearing my conscience

I have a confession. One that’s really hard for me to admit and put out there because everyone will now know the truth

Someway somehow many many people got the impression that I know about every single gun that’s been made. People come to me, asking about guns, telling me about THEIR guns and look to me for advice, tips, pointers and thoughts when in all actuality, I know about 4 gun types. 4.

Remington 870 shotgun
Smith and Wesson 38 revolver
Ruger Mini 14 rifle
H&K P2000 sk 40cal handgun

There you have it. Let’s get more honest. I only {expertly} know about the mini 14 and revolver, and that’s because I was trained extensively on them both. I know them inside and out. I know the shotgun one step down from expertly and the handgun…my own, I just “know”.
em157
Here’s another thing. Guns…specifically handguns, make my palms sweat. Without fail. I have to wear gloves when I’m qualifying mine. The shooting range thought I was crazy, even saying they had never seen anyone having to wear gloves, but guys, as much of a gun enthusiast as I am, they make me nervous. You never point your gun at anything unless you intend to shoot it, right?? That’s what you’re told over and over again, and thankfully, I’ve never pointed my guns at a person.

I’ve come close. Had it in my hands ready to raise, but never had to fully commit. But just the thought of it, even when shooting at a target, has my palms sweat.

But I feel bad. I feel bad when people (and its several) reach out to me asking which guns to buy, or asking if the gun they just bought was a good one. They tell me the type and I say, ‘oh yeah, sure, that’s a great one!’ when heck, I’ve never heard of it before. And I really just wanna say… ‘you got a gun.. that’s great enough! go out and have you some responsible fun!’

People have suggested I start my own business where I train, teach, give classes to women on gun safety, shooting, and run a weekend ‘retreat’ of sorts for women focusing on all things guns and I stare blankly at them and think how did they ever come up with that!?

I’m flattered. I am. Could I train women (or anyone) on how to properly shoot? Of course. I was certified to do just that, but I feel like such a fake when everyone seeks me out and excitedly hands me their gun to check out.

So, there you have it. It’s with a lot of trepidation that I’m even admitting this. Maybe it’s silly to some, but it’s the equivalent to someone being sought after for medical advice when they never actually completed med school…but feel obligated to keep answering everyone’s questions.

So, if you’re one who’s emailed, called, texted, talked or showed me your guns, I’m flattered. But seriously, unless it’s about those 4 guns above, I got nothin’ for ya.

Pin It Now!

1 comment:

The Heart Of A Woman said...

Haha!!! I didn't see this post coming! I'm pretty sure guns would make my palms sweat too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...