Thursday, December 20, 2012

Not all rainbows and sunsets

I feel the good always gets shared with my trips to Hawaii, I never get to tell the behind the scenes of the good. Granted I did talk about the helicopter ride and how it wasn’t as great as I wished, but like any trip, there’s many things that go wrong or not good at all.
em169
I’ve been beyond blessed to have the opportunity to travel there several times and island hop as well, and believe it or not, I always am wishful that everything will go off without a hitch each and every time. And each and every time that is not the case.

I have grand plans to hike Koko Head. I can’t even tell you how much I’ve wanted to hike it, but we always sit around the apartment instead. Its kind of embarrassing really, admitting that we sit around the apartment watching tv more often than not. Believe me, I’m not one to give you tips and advice on the things to see around Oahu because well, I’ve “done them” but not to the full ‘local’ or ‘tourist’ extent. Why?? because that pesky tv…and pure laziness, since I’m being honest.

There’s also little things that creep into the trip that want to create mountains out of mole hills. Getting lost or one person not being in as much a hurry as the other, misunderstandings.. they happen. I think that’s normal for any couple. Its safe to say, and though its irksome at times, we have an argument on every single trip we take. Its silly but it happens.

I was thankful when I read another blogger who admitted that happens with her and her husband on every trip. The stresses always build. Expectations, ideas, plans. They’re all there in both our minds and when it doesn’t work like one imagined, boom! Things get tense. It generally lasts a few hours and after that, everything is grand and the trip is practically perfect.

{Someone should do a study on that.}

But its ok! Its ok we have these spats. G-man and I are very different in our thinking and we’re bound to clash from time to time. It used to scare me. Thinking one fight would lead to an inevitable breakup, but that was in the beginning, in my new relationship immaturity. Now I get things off my chest like its no one’s business…well, I make it his business!

I’ll never forget the ‘one’ in Rome. A doozy that lasted over a day. Imagine being upset with each other for a whole day in Rome! We spent an entire month in a car driving across country without any problems and we choose to have a big fight in Rome!? Craziness, I tell you!

Any way, I hadn’t intended to share any of this actually, at.all.  I had plans to tell you how I found a dead mouse on the floor of the restaurant after we finished our meal.. and how I made G-man take our rental car back after 2 hours because of the ant trail I found in the car, but ‘we’ came out instead. I’m not sure why, but maybe to convey that we’re normal. We fight, we disagree, we aren’t perfect in any way, and I truly hope that I don’t portray this “I travel all the time with my love, life is perfect” persona. Heck, I’m 3500 miles away from the man, things are anything but perfect.

But I love him and he loves me. We work really hard to make it work, with the distance and though it sucks and I’m tired of it, I wouldn’t ask for anyone else in my life. My hope {for the future} comes from the Lord, the Maker of Heaven and Earth, and I know there’s going to be a great ending.
em170

Pin It Now!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I appreciate your honesty! John and I spent months planning our cruise this past October and when I actually got on the boat, I ended up being sea sick for about 75% of the time. There are always unexpected troubles that come up, but it's all how you deal with it that makes the difference. I'm happy you're not afraid to share all aspects of your relationship here with us. :)

Stephanie

Lisa said...

Hey girl, thanks for sharing! Just for the record..I travel alone but all that means is that I end up fighting with myself and not talking to "me" for hours on end!!!

Janna Renee said...

It is totally normal!! Luckily, we have gotten to the point where we try to apologize to the other when we notice that one is upset, but when we both get frustrated at the same time that isn't always easy ;) we are on an eleven day vacation now, so we shall see!

Anonymous said...

AMAZING post:) your blog is awesome and Im following.

If you want some cute Swedish bedroom inspiration..you can check out my blog:)

happy new year dear

LOVE Maria at inredningsvis.se
(sweden)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...