Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Chicken Satay

em12
I think it was out of my health insurance booklet they sent a month ago, that I saw this recipe inside. I promptly tore it out and threw the booklet away. Stuff’s not important any way.. I kid.

It looked easy and delicious, so I was eager to make it. Only thing was, while G-man was here, I learned he didn’t like satay. My first thought was, how in the world does he know what satay is?? But being the world traveler, he knows, and doesn’t like it, so I had to put this off until he left to make it just for me.

Friends, its good stuff. What’s more, its easy. I’ll say out the gate, I use boneless skinless chicken thighs and PREFER them over chicken breasts. Why? Because they’re cheaper…they’re actually the same in the way of ‘healthy’…and they have so much more flavor! I swear, no matter how long I cook a thigh, they never come out dry…ever! Thighs get such a bad rap for no reason.

The small catch to them is the excess fat that needs to be cut off. That can be time consuming, but if you don’t mind doing it, it will pay off with every bite you take.

For the recipe, its all about the marinade. What you’ll need:
em14
Combining all of the above ingredients and after cubing the chicken, throw them all together in a bowl (and cover) or a ziploc to marinade for at least 2 hours, if not overnight.
em15

It calls to grill them when you’re ready, but I don’t have a grill, so to the pan they go for me.
em16

After all is said and done, eat them alone or put them on a bed of rice with a side of broccoli. Or salad. Or whatever your heart desires.

em13

I only did the skewers for you. I took those bad boys off and immediately chowed down after this photo since I didn’t grill them. If you’re grilling them, definitely skewer them! You kinda have to.

Chicken Satay:
Prep time: 2 hours 10 minutes (due to marinade)
Cook time: 20 minutes
Yields: 6 servings

Ingredients
1 TBSP creamy peanut butter
1/4 C low sodium soy sauce (definitely make sure you get low sodium, otherwise it’ll be a SALTY dish)
1/4 C lemon or lime juice
1-1/2 tsp brown sugar
1 TBSP curry powder
1 clove garlic, chopped
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
3 8oz boneless skinless chicken breasts cubed
lime slices (optional)
skewers

Directions
1. In a mixing bowl, combine the peanut butter through the hot pepper sauce. Place the chicken breasts in the marinade and refrigerate. Let the chicken marinate at least 2 hours, overnight is best.

2. Preheat a grill to high heat (or a stove top on med-high heat)

3. Weave the chicken onto skewers, then grill for 5 minutes per side. (or no skewers and put in a pan for 5 minutes each. Or longer to get nice crunch on the outside from the marinade)

4. Serve with lime slices (optional)

How much easier can that be? Mix it, chop it, throw it all together and go sit down for a few hours, because you have nothing else to do, right? Then 10 min into cooking, you’re done!

Pin It Now!

5 comments:

sandi said...

based on a recipe I sent you a while back, you know I like chicken thighs also. BUT, I beg to differ on the fact that they can be overcooked! I made the spicy chicken thighs for the extended family while on vacation and my brother in law manned the grill... we started chatting and once the honey/apple cider vinegar topping was brushed on we chatted some more. needless to say the outside was burnt to a crisp and the inside a bit dry. but, for the most part, you cannot mess up a chicken thigh!

Dilan Dilir said...

it looks tasty even though I´m vegetarian :D

Lisa said...

WOW!!! That looks so yum! I am on cooking duty over the weekend and may have to give them a try.

Happy Birthday month!!

The Heart Of A Woman said...

I'm making this soon! Thanks!

Natalie said...

mmm! yummy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...