Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Whales whales everywhere

Waking up at 4:30 in the morning is not an easy thing to do. Especially when you’re on vacation. But I drug myself out of bed to get ready because we had us some whales to see and nothing was going to stop us from that!

I threw on my jeans because, even though its HI, I still get cold..much to G-man’s teasing. The valet gave us bottled water and towels and had our jeep waiting for us as we came outside. I couldn’t believe how windy it was. I was secretly getting nervous I’d get seasick on the boat since I now get carsick and airsick {is it called ‘airsick’?? …my mind has gone blank}

We finally arrive to a huddle of people in the pitch black morning waiting to hear the instructions and board the boat. As we all shuffle forward, I’m getting anxious to get going and was finding myself getting annoyed by the slow walkers in front of us. {as if the 2 extra minutes will really make a difference}

We’re finally out to sea and within 30 minutes the sun begins to rise, painting the sky a beautiful shade of pink.
em89

As the sun kept rising, I was finally able to take pictures of the whales that were close by. 2 in particular hovered near our boat, circling for a long time before moving on. It was beautiful. Everything about these whales are beautiful. To be so close was such a wonderful experience.
em92em91em96

We kept willing them to breach the water but none seemed in the mood to play, but we were in awe of their size, their sounds…everything about them.
em94em95em90

As we neared the end of our cruise, we began to head back to the dock. Everyone began to relax and not look around so eagerly for whales. This little boy seemed utterly content resting on the rail, staring out at the water.
em93
Far out in the distance, the whales were still popping up and diving back under.
em97

One waved goodbye to us with his fin.
em98

It was a beautiful morning. Despite the wind, I thankfully never got sick. It started out with us wrapped in the towels to stay warm to me non stop taking pictures, craning my neck to see every angle so I wouldn’t miss anything, to feeling the warm sun soak into my skin.
em99

I would go on a whale watching cruise every day if I could. G-man and I can’t seem to get enough of them. Even being back “home” in Oahu, we still stare out the big windows in hopes of seeing the whales jump. And if there’s one thing I’ve learned, {naturally, the hard way} its that a camera isn’t necessary to capture every single thing.

Running for my camera since the whales were beginning to jump close by, I ended up missing one whale jump and flip out of the water, only to have it never jump again that day. {I’m told it was spectacular} Sometimes, its best to just be there in the moment and not always feel the camera is necessary.

Lesson learned.

Pin It Now!

18 comments:

Ashley said...

oh wow, em! those are some beautiful pictures! seriously! you are good! what a wonderful experience!

so glad you and mister had a great time!! :)

Natalie said...

Great pictures! Looks like it was a great time! =D

Anonymous said...

That is SO SO SO COOL. Like seriously I've been wanting to do something like that my entire life! We have Humpback whales roaming around Maine waters too but you have to go waaaaaay out on over-packed cruises with people who are seasick all over the place--ewwwww. It's so neat you got close to the whales, I've heard Humpback whales are friendly and gentle despite their huge size. Gorgeous pictures!

LeAnna said...

Awwweeesommmmmee! I think that would be so cool to see.

Also. Totally, totally, totally agree with you about the camera thing. I've finally been at peace with leaving it home, or sitting on the shelf. You don't always have to see the beauty of life through a lens. Just like you experienced...sometimes you miss the super awesome. It's okay to hide memories in your heart, without a digital format available on a hard drive. One day when we're old, and feeble, that's all that'll matter...

Stephanie said...

Wow! Such beautiful images...I bet it was even more amazing in real life. I went whale watching in Seattle once and I loved it!

Annie M Culley said...

You just convinced me to add "going to HI to watch whales" to my ever growing "Bucket list"! Loved your pictures!

TracyZLesh @ Then I Got To Thinking said...

That is SO incredible!!

Tatiana said...

Wowza! That is one big fishy! I've always wanted to go on one of those excursions too :-)

Erin Pasillas said...

Maybe the real lesson should be, "never let the camera out of your reach" :)

carissa said...

we went on a cruise like this, too. it was amazing. you captured the whales so beautifully. you rock my friend.

Brandi said...

This looks like such an amazing experience!

run-style-run.blogspot.com

Lisa said...

Em, you have GOT to come to South Africa in October....more specifically to Hermanus. We even have a whale festival. You would love it......the weather is not always great but the the whales and dolphins more than make up for it!!

erica said...

Wow! How amazing are these pictures. I would love to be able to see a whale up close like that! xo

Unknown said...

So...so...so jealous of you right now!!! Wow. These are so amazing. I've seen dolphins...but this takes it to a new level! Beautiful.

Nicolle said...

Gorgeous pictures of the whales. They are amazing creatures. I'm loving all of your Hawaii photos! xo.

two birds said...

wow what fabulous pictures. the one time i was able to go whale watching, i was scared the whole time that they would tip out tiny little boat...but they were beautiful to watch nonetheless!

angie on maui said...

Aaah, such beautiful photos - those whales are so majestic, don't you think? I love that sunrise photo, too...the pastels are so peaceful.

You are really stepping it up with your photography, friend! Nicely done!

Ross said...

The whale watching was the highlight of our trip. Like you said sometimes just taking in the moment instead of having the camera is the best thing. That's what I did, I put down the camera and watched them jump and play all around us. In that moment I watched a calf with his mom. The mom was teaching him all the slaps and jumps and all that. The guide told us that she could tell the calf had been born within the hour. We just took it all in!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...