Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Becoming an egomaniac

via
You probably don’t know this –mainly because I haven’t told you- but I force people to compliment me on a weekly basis. Its pretty fabulous! You should consider doing it..especially when you’re needing a pick me up on a lousy day.
via
I generally elicit a good 30-60 compliments on average a week. I’ll be honest, forced compliments feel pretty real to me {why think otherwise?} so I take them to heart each and every time and squeal in delight when I get another. And generally, when I get them to let loose and go crazy, some actually become genuine, which just makes it all the sweeter.
via

Ok, I may entice them with a special something at the end for all the compliments but I always end my night feeling wonderful because, well, who wouldn’t!?

Where am I going with this.

After yesterday’s ‘bathing suit’ comment, and the fact that the ever so sweet Lisa wishes me a ‘happy birthday month’ daily, {seriously, thank you so much Lisa!} I’ve been feeling a little full good about myself.

It got even better Monday night.
via
While I was working out at the high school track, running the bleachers, a mom in her 30’s was working out with her two 9 year old boys. It was pretty cute. We both happened to finish at the exact same time and were walking out to the parking lot when I told her how I loved seeing her working out with them.

Conversation ensued and by the time we reached the parking lot, she says, ‘Do you go to high school here?’ I scoff and can only say, ummm. So she repeats the question and I spit out, ‘uh, I’m 30!’ The look on her face was priceless as she sputtered over her words. I assured her it was a wonderful compliment and didn’t mind one bit.

As I walked away she shouted out, ‘do you have kids!?’ Once I said no she said that’s why I look so young.
Seriously honey, you don’t need to backtrack on the compliment!

So as I approach my 31st birthday (in a mere 20 days) I will happily take a complete stranger believing I look like I’m still in high school.

Now, I encourage everyone to get at least 5 forced compliments this week. Its super easy, all you say is,
I need them
I want them
I have to have them to survive…
please give them to me…and ok, I’ll give you a [insert ‘gift’ idea here] for giving me one.

It will make your sad day into such a happy one. Promise!
And to start you all off, here’s a genuine one:

I truly appreciate you and think you’re pretty darn awesome!

via

Pin It Now!

12 comments:

The Heart Of A Woman said...

I love that cartoon about the cook! Well, its obviously easy to compliment you, because you are a fabulous person. Duh! You like how I slipped that compliment in :0)

Lisa said...

Ah you are so funny...fishing for compliments!!!

Happy birthday month gorgeous!!

Unknown said...

Haha, you're hilarious. Happy Birth-month pretty girl! We share the same birth-month ( do you like how I threw that in there). lol

Kristin said...

Hahahaha! You're a riot Emily! I just got a "are you off school for the summer?" recently, and I ate it up! I'm 32. Now here's one for you: I always enjoy my visit here at Amazing Grapes! Each and every one brings a smile to my face :-)

LaLa said...

You crack me up! I have to say I'm not sure if I could do this. I wonder how many people do this with out even thinking? I know a lady who is always saying stuff to down play what ever she does. Of course being her friend I always encourage her, but maybe she has read your blog?!!? LOL

meme-and-he said...

haha that story is awesome...isn't that the best?! I love when people think I'm younger than I am. Although, seriously, if I am already thinking this way at 24 I should probaby take a step back :)

Popcorn, Pugs & Peonies said...

I adore your blog! You are funny. (Two non-forced compliments. DO they still count?).

*Erin

Annie M Culley said...

Too funny! Now I have to try! Happy Birthday early!! People tell me I look young all the time! I think the lady was right though....kids make you age :)

Brittany LeSueur said...

Ha ha this is so funny! And you love AMAZING kids or not!!! Oh and that complement was strait from the heart:) I will try for some forced complements this weeks though! happy early birthday!

Megan said...

You are so funny! This post made me laugh!! Notice how I just complimented you. Was that the point of this post?! ; )

debjones:) said...

Oh. My. Goodness... I'm reading this and laughing my tail off - and did I mention what a BRILLIANT personality you have? *insert big cheesy grin here!*
tehehe! =)

Jess said...

This is the best idea EVER!
I totally need to start doing this. I think I'll begin on Instagram. Or maybe I'll have a "forced compliments Monday" meme.
You'd join in, right? I'll give you credit for it. We'll have a link up party and all. I'm just kidding though cause I have no clue how to have a link up party ;P
When I was in HS my mom used to get mistaken for someone usually around 10 yrs younger than she was, I've always known it would be the same for me, especially when at 18, someone thought I was 15. I don't think the height helps though, I'm only 5'1. But I knew I'd appreciate it once I was older.
Also, when I worked for this Christian, yr round school for kiddos with disabilities, we had something called "flock" where a staff member signed up each day, we'd get in early, and have a mimi bible study type thing. My favourite days were the ones where the person would give everyone a piece of paper to put their name in the middle of and everyone would pass it around and right something about that person (nice somethings) on it. Once it got back to you you had a list of like 30 lovely things people thought about you. I'd stare at it all day. Hang it up by my desk for weeks. :) My compliment to you is that I would completely and surely ask you to go for coffee, even though I don't drink it, just to hang out with you. You're that kind of person.
Also, I think it's official this is the LONGEST comment I have EVER written on someone's blog.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...