Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Callie and Ben

Months ago I went to “help out” at a women’s function at church. To be honest, I don’t quite know what was needed to be done because it became more of a social event rather than me actually helping. Some were sewing and crafting…two things I don’t really do, so I know I wasn’t much help.

The snacks were really good. That I remember!

There was a young girl there ironing, who I found out was getting married in May. My friend was their photographer and before she knew what hit her, I got my friend to introduce us and declared I wanted to volunteer to be the 2nd photographer. Blindsiding is probably the best way to put what I did.

I never shot a wedding and it seemed this couple would be the best one to start out on. They’re laid back, easy going, cool, calm, and beyond collected. They did everything themselves and just about didn’t sweat a thing throughout the whole process. Enjoying every minute of it. The bride even made mac and cheese before getting in her dress to head to the church.

It helped me being around such relaxed company.
em4

As she continued getting ready, I headed to the church to meet up with the guys. They were a fun bunch; eating pizza and playing with guns in the pastor’s study as they patiently waited for the time to tick away.

I realize that’s an odd sentence, but it’s all legal…

One of the groomsmen had rented a Camaro, so they were eager to have their pictures taken with it. I can’t really blame them, it is a Camaro after all.
em5em3em2em14
It was finally time and the ceremony was underway. They were so excited.
em6

All throughout the day, he would crack jokes and they’d give each other cute silly faces. It was adorable and really showed their fun loving characters.
em8
It was nice to be there. Capturing the fun pictures. Not necessarily being the one that was under the gun to get all the right shots. I felt it was ok to have the fun, goofy ones that they’d be able to chuckle at later on.
em12em9em7
As the bride and groom danced, this adorable little girl was eager to get a picture of her own.
em10
She was devoted to her work, making sure she remained hydrated to ensure she could keep working.
In reality, it was blazing hot that day and I commend the bride for staying in her dress throughout the whole reception.
em11
em13
I’m glad I went that night, so that I could meet Callie, so that I could volunteer to shoot their wedding. It was definitely an experience. One that taught me I have a lot to learn in the way of weddings. One that showed just how hard a true professional photographer has to work and how much they’re counted on to get those perfect shots, whether it be in harsh lighting, not enough lighting, or with people walking in front right at what would have been the perfect moment. They’re seen but invisible.

I have a new found respect for all of you.

Pin It Now!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pictures Emily! And it is HARD photographing weddings. It's super fun, but there is a ton of pressure to get the right shots and not miss any special moments. Not to mention the days can be crazy long! You have a natural eye for this.

Stephanie

Lisa said...

Good job Emily!!!

The pics are truly special.

meme-and-he said...

beautiful! You do a great job at capturing emotion in photos. My favorite is the little girl taking a picture...darling.

Unknown said...

You did such a great job! What a great way to get experience.

The Heart Of A Woman said...

Love the pictures!

Unknown said...

Great job Em! That first one...dang!

Katie said...

You finished!!!! The couple looks so fun and relaxed. Think you'll do more weddings?

My-cliffnotes said...

The grey dress on the left is the same dress I wore on Sat!! Love it! Great editing and photo taking ma'am

LaLa said...

That's so much pressure photographing a wedding! I admire all professional or aspiring professional photographers.

Megan said...

These are so good! I always say that I would never want to shoot a wedding because if you miss the shot, that's it!! And then the bride might kill you. Haha.

Jess said...

beautiful and fun...perfect

Heather said...

That's so cool! And I Love the the idea of a 2nd photographer to get some of the more casual shots... great job!

XO
www.pearlsandpaws.blogspot.com

Rach said...

I love her dress! You did a great job shooting the wedding! :)

Ashley said...

What a great job on your first wedding shoot!!!

I love that they were playing with guns in his study...hilarious!

Ross said...

You got some fantastic photos! Looks like it was a really great wedding!

angie on maui said...

These are some great photos, Em! I've loved being able to see your photography change and evolve in such short time! You might have mentioned this before, but do you edit in PS or Lightroom?

Love the photo of the rings...so pretty!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...