Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Once upon a surgery, part I

I’m a storyteller, regardless of what some may say, I’m awesome at them. Its true. Okay, sometimes it’s true.

I realized something through this whole process. Some things aren’t always as they seem. What once you thought, may not be how it really is. Just because someone talks something up, doesn’t mean its great and worth it in the end.

For instance, the surgical suite. Let’s just say it was a waste-of-money. I’ve had my surgeries in a hospital and I’ve had them in surgical centers. The difference??? One’s in a hospital, one’s in a surgical center paid for by doctors.

The End.

I was the only patient, as they claimed, so therefore I was treated as if I was the only patient. (easy enough). The surgeon asked what kind of music I wanted in the O.R…uumm, why do I care when I’ll be passed out? So, I said whatever they wanted. The nurse was nice. Even gave me the best I.V. I’ve EVER had. In the wrist even (my 1st) and it was completely pain free.

All the other dr.s were nice but really. Really! What was I thinking it was going to be like?? Grandiose, I suppose. And grandiose, it was not. What WAS grandiose was the cost of it.

I digress.

I was too embarrassed to whip my massively big camera out so I only got me in the bathroom minutes before the surgery.
yep, that’s me looking awesome at 6:30 in the morning.
em176
After 3 deep breathes, I was out to the world and they went to town on my feet. By the time I came to it was 2 hours later and the nurse was talking to me. Then the Dr. came over and told me everything that happened. All I remember is I stared at him dumbfounded by his report. I asked questions even though we both knew I wouldn’t recall any, if not just pieces of the conversation. My mind was reeling.

After informing me they gave me an ‘ankle block’ (which I have to say, is the best thing ever) explaining that they completely numbed me from my ankles down to reduce my pain (crazy, scary and awesome all at the same time), they wheeled me out to the car with instructions to rest for the next couple of days.

As my mom drove me home, I kept asking her the same questions over and over, doing everything to comprehend what the dr. told me and if what he had said was really true.

And why doctors feel the need to cover for other doctors…

ps. I have some exciting news, but I’m going to wait to make sure it really is as exciting as I’m thinking, to share. Nice cliffhanger, right? Sorry.

Pin It Now!

8 comments:

Sam W. said...

haha...you are a good storyteller. can't wait to read the exciting news!!

Ashley said...

i have to agree with Sam, you are a wonderful storyteller! i'm really glad to hear everything went well and i continue to wish you a speedy recovery! can't wait to hear the good news...

Tatiana said...

You can't do this do ME!!!! TELL THE SECRET! DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!!
You should have put in your agreement that for that price you'll need chocolate covered strawberries and a bottle of their finest champagne once you woke up. And extra happy pills.

LeAnna said...

I have discovered that anything with "suite" in the name costs a pretty "suite" penny. Whatever THAT is all about. I want to hear more. More. More.

Green Girl said...

I was scoped in a surgical center and I have to agree that the IV there was MUCH MUCH better than at the hospital. I never had one in my wrist...that's exciting!
I had a nurse make me cry hard a couple of years ago putting in an iv in my hand...she told me that "I" was making her nervous. That's comforting.
Ankle Blocker sounds kind of cool...but I bet not so much after the blocked feeling went away...

Looking forward to the secret!

Natalie said...

hmm... wonder what this secret could be... =)

Megan said...

You are the cutest thing ever!! And at 6:30?! Seriously?! No fair!!

Can't wait to find out about your secret!!

Megan said...

so..i feel really in the dark...why did you need surgery? what happened? can i get all of the personal details since im your bff?

thanks.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...